Lightning Login is an exciting feature that allows passwordless login into Salesforce! Not only does it improve security by verifying your identity on a separate device and increase productivity by making logins just a click and a tap–but it also comes at no additional cost to Salesforce customers. How can Admins and users take advantage of the awesomeness? Simply download the free Salesforce Authenticator app from the App Store or Google Play and kick off Lightning Login registration from your Salesforce Settings.
You can use Lightning Login whether you have two-factor authentication (2FA) turned on for your org (or just some of your users) and or not. With the 2FA permission assigned, Lightning Login requires a fingerprint or passcode as an additional factor of authentication on the device. What’s so great about 2FA? So many things! 2FA is one of the best ways to strengthen the security of your org and help protect account credentials even if they’re stolen or compromised–and it’s completely free to customers.
Want to learn more about Lightning Login, including how to set it up for your org? Check out this on-demand webinar.
To demo this feature for your stakeholders, follow this quick guide!
1. Sign up for a free Developer Edition (DE) org. Go to: https://developer.salesforce.com and click Sign Up (top right corner). Check your inbox for an email with steps to complete registration.
2. On your mobile device, download the free Salesforce Authenticator app in Google Play or the App Store.
3. Back in your new Salesforce DE org, click on the Astro icon in the top right corner and click on Settings.
4. Click on ‘Advanced User Details’ from the left nav. Scroll down and click on ‘Enroll’ next to Lightning Login.
5. You may be prompted to register for Identity Verification. This is recommended for added security.
6. The browser prompts you to connect your account to the Salesforce Authenticator app. Note: If you have not already connected Authenticator to your account, follow the directions in step 7.
7. Tap ‘Add an Account’ to get a two-word phrase from the Authenticator app, type it back into the browser and confirm the connection when the app prompts you (Note: you only have to get the two-word phrase if the browser prompts you for it, as shown in the screenshot below).
8. Now that you’ve connected Authenticator, you’ll receive a Lightning Login enrollment confirmation. Tap Approve.
9. Log out of your DE org. Type in your username and leave the password field blank. Woohoo! Select the box next to ‘Remember Me’ to save your username for future logins.
10. If prompted to register your mobile number, it’s a great idea to do so as a backup authentication method!
11. Test your login again! Log out, and now all you have to do is Click on your username and Tap approve when Authenticator notifies you. Done; you’re logged in!
Once you’ve demoed Lightning Login and gotten approval from your stakeholders, you can start the implementation process. For step by step instructions, follow this webinar. Interested in learning more about Lightning Login before implementing? Check out the additional resources below.
- To demo Lightning Login using a Mac, plug your iPhone into the computer via USB and use QuickTime to screencast your phone via Movie Recording.
- To demo on a PC using an Android or Windows mobile device, these articles list a few different ways to mirror or cast your phone: How To Geek and Make Use Of.
- Watch this Lightning Login Overview video
- Enable Lightning Login using this documentation.
- Watch the Lightning Login Admin Webinar ⬇️