Salesforce Lightning has been around for over a year now, so if you haven’t yet tried it, now is the time! This Learn Lightning blog series is meant to show you how to do everyday things in Lightning that you are used to doing in Classic. I’ve been using Lightning to complete Trailhead modules and build out demos for the past few months, so I wanted to share what I’ve learned to make your transition to Lightning easier and more fun. Learn Lightning with me!
The first thing I click in Salesforce is Setup. This is our home as Admins to manage everything in our org. In Lightning, there are some great new features in Setup to help make our daily Admin tasks easier, so let’s check them out.
From any page in Lightning, you can click the gear icon in the upper right corner and select Setup Home (same place it is in Classic!).
You’ll notice that this looks different than Classic, but you have access to all the same tools in Lightning with an improved navigation menu at the left.
The Carousel in Setup Home
Once you are in Setup Home, you’ll notice that there is a carousel at the top of the page that gives you the ability to go directly to the things we care about as Admins:
- Setup Salesforce1 – Launches the Salesforce1 quick start wizard to help you set up your org so that you and your users can access your org from mobile devices, making it easy to get work done away from the office.
- AppExchange – Takes you directly to the AppExchange, where you can find all the apps and components that are Lightning ready.
- Object Manager – New in Lightning, you can view all of standard and custom objects in your org in one place: the Object Manager. This is a fantastic new feature in Lightning! (more about this below)
- Download SalesforceA – The app designed specifically for Admins, SalesforceA allows us to reset passwords, change permission sets, freeze users, and much more from our mobile devices. This box takes you directly to the Apple App Store or Google Play where you can download the app.
- Release Notes – Now you can access the current Release Notes right here in Setup. Cool tools!
- System Status – Takes you right to trust.salesforce.com (http://trust.salesforce.com/) where you can view real-time performance information for your instance.
Search in Setup
If you love searching the setup tree in Classic, you can do it in Lightning too! And what is even cooler is the ability to search ALL setup from the search bar, so you can find specific fields, profiles, templates and more right from search.
Lightning Object Manager
Another new feature in Lightning is the Object Manager. This is where you can find all of your objects – custom and standard – in one place. And once you are in your object, you can even search within the page for those objects with tons of fields and layouts. You can’t do that in Classic! I love this because it makes it so much easier to manage your org data.
Users, Data, and Email Settings
Most Admins spend a lot of time managing users, data, and email. In Lightning, we can access all those settings from atop the left menu with the Administration category that contains Users, Data, and Email settings for the entire org. This is AWESOME! Saves me so much time searching for the specific subcategory I need in the setup tree so that I can quickly find what I need to change without searching.
Now you can find all the functionality you are used to in Classic in Lightning! I found that navigating Setup in Lightning was much easier and more intuitive than in Classic, which saves me lots of time as I complete my Trailhead challenges. What do you use most often in Setup? Let me know, and I’ll show you how to do it in Lightning!
Continue learning about Lightning by following this series:
Part 1: Setup
Part 2: Create an App
Part 3: Create & Clone Users
Part 4: Create Groups
Part 5: Create & Edit Objects
Part 6: Create Reports
Part 7: Create & Edit Profiles
Part 8: Create & Edit Permission Sets
Part 9: Compact Layouts